Skip to main content

Dioraphte is a Dutch private foundation with an annual budget is € 14.5 million. This budget enables us to support initiatives that have a significant impact on peoples’ lives.

Where

Both in the Netherlands and Africa (Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi and Uganda, and a limited number of projects in Sudan).

Who is it for?

The fund provides financial support to social organisations in the Netherlands and Africa.

For what purpose

Donations can be intended for either a project or to fund an organisation. Projects can run for several years, although most of our donations are awarded annually.

Budget

Dioraphte aims to provide around €14.5 million in donations annually. About 70% of that amount is allocated to initiatives in the Netherlands and the remaining 30% goes to initiatives in Africa.

Characteristics

  • Managed by a small but efficient team with a dynamic board, ensuring that projects benefit from maximum financial support.
  • Open to finding new ways forward, to nascent ideas and to topics that involve risk-taking.
  • Willingness to make long-term investments in initiatives that require a longer commitment.

Origin

Two women, who didn’t know one another. They both held sizeable assets. Neither of them had any children. They decided to use their wealth to contribute towards a better society, and to continue to do so even after their deaths. Unselfishly and anonymously. After consulting their respective financial advisers, they established several small foundations: Stichting Liberty, Stichting Dijkverzwaring, Stichting Dioraphte and Stichting Continuendo MusartE Foundation.

Then in 2015, these foundations merged to form what is now called Dioraphte. The name is an anagram of Aphrodite, Goddess of Love. Since then, Dioraphte has become one of the largest charitable equity funds in the Netherlands. It boasts a remarkably broad focus, in order to do justice to the interests and wishes of these women. It reflects, for instance, the compassion they felt towards those at a disadvantage in life. They wanted both big and small projects to receive opportunities. Similarly, these initiatives were allowed to be somewhat unconventional and cutting-edge. It is in this same spirit that we operate – to this day.

Board Members

ACvU

Arnold Croiset van Uchelen

Chairman

Roderik Los

Treasurer

Glenda Nühn-Morris

Member

PM

Peter Mensing

Member

Phil 2

Phil Compernolle

Member

Organisation

FB

Fiona Buruma

Head Finance and Project Administration

Jasmijn Melse

Director of Operations

PAS

Patricia Alting Siberg

Secretariat and project administration

Advisors

MS

Mijke Godschalk

Performing Arts

AO

Antoon Ott

Artilaw

Cultural Heritage

MC

Mustapha Charifi

MC Management & Advies

Social initiatives in The Netherlands

HvS

Henk van Stokkom

DoenDenkers

Social initiatives in Africa

Nathalie de Zoete

deZoete Impact

Social initiatives in The Netherlands

Jasmijn Melse

Science and Research

*Extra info

Scientific Advisors

Ype Elgersma

Erasmus MC Rotterdam

Advisor Rare Diseases

Simon Croft

London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine

Advisor Neglected Tropical Diseases

Bouke de Jong

Institute of Tropical Medicine Antwerp

Advisor Neglected Tropical Diseases

Isra Cruz

Instituto de Salud Carlos III Madrid

Advisor Neglected Tropical Diseases

Mitali Chatterjee

Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research Kolkata

Advisor Neglected Tropical Diseases

*Extra info

Our policies

For more information on the policies in the focus areas:

Social Initiatives in Africa
Social Initiatives in the Netherlands
Science and Research
Performing Arts
Cultural Heritage

Our remuneration policy

The charter of the foundation states:
‘The directors shall not receive any remuneration, either directly or indirectly. The term ‘remuneration’ does not include a reasonable reimbursement for expenses incurred on behalf of the foundation and an attendance fee that is not excessive. The amount shall be determined by the Board. All remunerations paid to the directors are included and disclosed as such in the annual financial report.’

Auditors

Lentink De Jonge

Financial Administration

Jac’s den Boer & Vink

Annual publications

Since 2015 Dioraphte publishes an annual review.

Financial overview 2022

Read the financial overview of Stichting Dioraphte here.

Chamber of Commerce – RSIN

Chamber of Commerce file number 17150595
RSIN (identification number for legal entities and associations) 811835054

Dioraphte is a member of

Fondsen voor ouderen (Funds for the Elderly)
Big Bang Philanthropy
Philea

FIN The board of the Dioraphte Foundation declares that it complies with the FIN Good Governance Standards and has submitted the Annual Declaration of Compliance with the FIN Good Governance Standards, which is reviewed periodically.